The campus-wide administrative review, conducted in tandem with our strategic planning initiative, positions UC San Diego for implementation of the university's strategic plan. I have initiated organizational changes that include:
- Appoint Steve Gamer as Vice Chancellor - Advancement. In this position, he has primary responsibility for oversight of university development and alumni and constituent engagement, and will lead the planning for a major fundraising campaign.
- Launch Search for Vice Chancellor - Student Affairs (VCSA) position, with a solid reporting line to the Executive Vice Chancellor and a dotted reporting line to the Chancellor. The VCSA remains a Cabinet member. This change will lead to a stronger integration of academics and student life, will sharpen our focus on the overall student experience, and help us to achieve our campus goal to be a student-centered university. The search commenced in January 2014.
- Revise Reporting for Career Services and Student Health and Well Being, with Career Services now aligned with Alumni and Constituent Engagement in Advancement, and Student Health and Well Being now aligned with the UC San Diego Health System. The reporting changes were instituted in summer/fall 2013.
- Create Office of Ethics and Compliance reporting directly to me and led by Judy Bruner as Chief Campus Ethics and Compliance Officer (CECO). Effective March 1, 2014, her role expands to include oversight of the Ombuds office and Audit and Management Advisory Services. As CECO, Bruner also will be the Locally Designated Official and will co-chair the campus Compliance, Audit, Risk and Ethics (CARE) Committee.
- Launch Search for Vice Chancellor and Chief Financial Officer with primary university-wide responsibility for all financial and accounting functions; the search will get underway in winter/spring.
- Establish Office of Operational Strategic Initiatives to provide the campus with opportunities to improve administrative processes. Led by Director Bob Neuhard and advised by a campus-wide committee, the office will ensure continuous improvement and efficiency in all of our operations.
As implementation of the strategic plan progresses, I will continue to assess administrative changes to ensure that UC San Diego is positioned to achieve our goals.